Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Do You Know What I Lost?

In the Victorian era there was an image articulated of female sexuality: virginal and yet motherly, soft, lambent, with liquid eyes and a charming sweetness that flowed out of every pore. Her mind could be easily overtaxed by complex ideas, her sensibilities offended by the rough world of politics or by the exigencies of the marketplace. She was to be kept in a protected world, cared for and provided for by her husband, given the space and the means to fulfill herself as a wife and a mother. This bourgeois Victorian notion of femininity, and its descendent -- the picket-fences housewife of the '50s with her shiny-happy-children and her apple pie – have come to be associated by some conservative women with “traditional femininity.” These feminine stylistics which were articulated at a particular point in history, in response to a particular set of cultural concerns, have come to be seen by a small subculture within the Christian world as timeless, enduring, essential. The Catholicism that I came to know in the early years of my marriage was heavily shaped by these beliefs. I would become truly woman, would help to build the Culture of Life, would conform myself to the image of the Virgin Mother by sinking myself into the spirituality of the housewife. Obviously, as John Paul II pointed out in Mulieris Dignitatem, women could participate in other areas of social and cultural life – but many of the Catholic women I met seemed to subtly imply that these activities were best undertaken by single women, or women whose children had moved out of the house. While I had young kids, my vocation was to stay at home and secure my salvation by making an offering of all of my small, domestic sacrifices. One well-meaning priest actually advised me not to bother with writing, because my energies were supposed to be directed towards raising my family and being a good wife. So I tried. I became a grand-master at the art of children's birthday cake decorating. I accumulated a vast wardrobe of ugly, swishy skirts and grew my hair long. I tried to formulate a coherent strategy for permanently slaying the laundry monster. I convinced myself that by crucifying my talents and personality I was becoming humble, holy, submissive to the will of God – more like Mary every day. Yet this did not produce the expected fruit of marital bliss and domestic harmony. I became increasingly frustrated with my children, and terrified of becoming pregnant again. My husband and my male friends started complaining that I had completely lost my personality, that I no longer had anything interesting to say. I became sexually frigid, perceived even the most loving advances as reductionistic and lustful, and I went to the marriage bed like a martyr to the pyre – as a good and chaste Christian woman ought. My prayer life became increasingly shallow and ritualistic as I tried to buy God's love with rosary marathons and holy medals. One day, as I was falling asleep, I realized that I had just gone an entire week without having a single interesting or original thought. I was lying in bed laying plans for how to get the marker stains off of my coffee table, when I realized that this was not right. I wasn't good at being a housewife. It didn't complete and fulfill the deepest longings of my feminine heart. I had become Virginia Wolf's self-deprecating “angel of the house,” crucifying myself for absolutely nothing. As I cried myself to sleep, I thought, “Finally, I understand what feminism was really all about.” (part 3 of 12)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Rob (Corpus Cristi) from way back when at CAF. :-)

    Loving this series you're undertaking.

    God bless

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am also loving this series so far. Can't wait to see where you're taking us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me both laugh and nod in recognition. I posit that this whole femininity struggle is one of the contributing factors to fear of marriage and inability to fully embrace Christianity by many women.

    ReplyDelete

Please observe these guidelines when commenting:

We want to host a constructive but civil discussion. With that in mind we ask you to observe these basics of civilized discourse:

1. No name calling or personal attacks; stick to the argument, not the individual.

2. Assume the goodwill of the other person, especially when you disagree.

3. Don't make judgments about the other person's sinfulness or salvation.

4. Within reason, stick to the topic of the thread.

5. If you don't agree to the rules, don't post.

We reserve the right to block any posts that violate our usage rules. And we will freely ban any commenters unwilling to abide by them.

Our comments are moderated so there may be a delay between the time when you submit your comment and the time when it appears.