Sunday, September 2, 2012

Three Day Novel

Hi all. I've been incommunicado for a bit. It's because I'm writing a three day novel, as part of the three day novel writing Labour Day weekend competition. It's something I've meant to do for several years, but this is the first time I haven't chickened out. It's now officially five and a half hours into my second day of writing. I've produced more than 25000 words. I'm kind of writing in a daze at this point, hoping that the Muse will see me through the end. I'm working down at my computer in the basement, which is this old, stone-walled, cavernous environment, with a deep window-well full of cobwebs and a skeleton incense burner reposing on the sill, with a burned stick of sandalwood stuck into his ribs. A perfect place for writing horror. Anyways, pray for me. I still have at least 25000 words to go...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'll be praying for you, but it sounds like you're doing really well already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a comforting thought about your writing horror. I've been reading essays on Canadian literature by Northrop Frye, and he says: "The outstanding achievement of Canadian poetry is its evocation of stark terror... The immediate source of this is obviously the frightening loneliness of a huge and thinly settled country... Nature is not all glacier and iceberg and hurricane; and while there is no conscious cruelty in it, there is certainly a suffering that we can interpret as cruelty. Hence the poet begins to animate nature with an evil or at least sinister power". He concludes that the native genius is "full of ghosts and unseen watchers and spiritual winds" (Canada and Its Poetry). Here's hoping (and praying) that your 25,000 words will continue the tradition in novel form!

    ReplyDelete

Please observe these guidelines when commenting:

We want to host a constructive but civil discussion. With that in mind we ask you to observe these basics of civilized discourse:

1. No name calling or personal attacks; stick to the argument, not the individual.

2. Assume the goodwill of the other person, especially when you disagree.

3. Don't make judgments about the other person's sinfulness or salvation.

4. Within reason, stick to the topic of the thread.

5. If you don't agree to the rules, don't post.

We reserve the right to block any posts that violate our usage rules. And we will freely ban any commenters unwilling to abide by them.

Our comments are moderated so there may be a delay between the time when you submit your comment and the time when it appears.